Saturday, March 1, 2014

Lux - Week 1

Day 4:
Be too busy. Clean and act like an adult, but be useless at work. Cry a little inside.

Day 5:
Hooray! Pull out the pattern pieces and cut along the lines you drew. I also separated the front of the breastplate from the back.

If you noticed, I kind of left the belt pieces alone for now because I'm still seeing if this works out. 
Take your craft foam
 And trace out your pattern pieces!
 Not sure if you can see my lines, but you probably don't need to. It's a pretty straightforward thing, tracing.
 I would just take care not to dent the foam too much - I traced lightly with a ballpoint pen and it worked just fine, even on black.
"But how do I do rounded pieces?" you ask. It's okay, I heard you - and turns out, it's actually pretty easy. Cut out a square about half again larger than the pattern piece you will need and heat it up. I've heard that a hair dryer doesn't really get hot enough, and you will need a craft heater gun or use your stove. I definitely don't have a heating gun, so I just turned up the heat and held the foam over it.
 Then I took a ball of yarn, because apparently there aren't many spheres around my place, and stretched the warm foam over it.
 If it cools down, and you need more shaping? Heat it up again. However, the craft foam I used was only 3mm thick, and a lot of the tutorials I was looking at were using thicker, so when I heated it up again it started flattening out again. I ended up turning the heat way down, and my theory is a hair dryer might work on this. I will keep you updated.

Anyway, lay your pattern piece over the sphere shape now.
 Trace and cut out! I would definitely, definitely recommend cutting outside the lines and trimming as needed. I ended up reshaping one just to make sure I could get it to fit.
 But I was able to trim things down and I think they will work. Do I know? ....No. Because I realized I had forgotten to get hot glue for my hot glue gun.
 Ah, well. Front and back. We'll see...


Day 6:
Forget glue again. So work on the boots instead! First, I made an exact pattern of the boots I have. 

I cut it down the inside, where the zipper is on my boots.
Again, there are extra lines because I haven't decided exactly what to do yet. Her main boots are black so I'm considering just attaching the decoration to the boots I have, but it depends on if I can attach the decor without ruining the suede (because I actually like my boots and want to keep wearing them). So, just in case, this pattern!

Day 7:
Be busy again, but excited for my weekend where I'll have lots of time to get hot glue and work on things! (also, play the stinkin' game!)
Also, write this blog post like I promised I would yesterday and the day before.
More to come - I'll keep you posted! Eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment